A Guest Presentation by Dr. Peter Sinclair, Professor at the École Supérieure d’Art d’Aix en Provence and Co-Director of the Locus Sonus Audio Art Research Lab.
4:30-6pm pm, Thurs Sept 18 2014
Concordia University, Loyola Campus, CJ 1.114
Sinclair will describe his research into mobile sonification as developed for the RoadMusic Project. The idea is to be done with listening to recorded music in your car and instead to have a live sonic experience in which music is created from your ride for your ride. Sensors gather data about bumps, curves, accelerations and braking while a camera analyses the visual scene. He also describe other projects developed by the Locus Sonus research unit which he co-directs with Jerome Joy—in particular the Locus Stream Project, a streaming server dedicated to “open microphones” and the artistic forms that have been developed using it.
NB – Sinclair will also be leading a workshop for students from 9-12:30 on the morning of the 18th. There are 5 places for Concordia Graduate Students. Please contact email@example.com to reserve a slot.
Peter Sinclair – Sound Artist, Research Director: Locus Sonus – Audio in Art
Professor: École Superieure d’Art d’Aix-En-Provence (France)
Peter Sinclair (Ph.D University of Arts London) is a Sound Artist and Co-Director with J. Joy of Locus Sonus Sound Lab at École d’Art d’Aix-En-Provence (France). Long time builder of autonomous musical machines and sound installations, his work today focuses on the mediation of real time data and mobile audio media. He has exhibited and performed frequently in Europe and the US in such venues Exploratorium San Francisco, MAC de Lyon (Musiques en scène), Postmasters Gallery New-York, Festival Interférences Belfort, Eyebeam – Beta Launch – NewYork, Festival de Cinéma et de Nouveaux Media Split, ISEA Nagoya, STEIM Amsterdam, La Gaîté Lyrique Paris, etc.
Recent Expositions, Installations & Performances
2013 :• Exhibition “L’automobile dans tous ses états”, Musée d’art contemporain of Toulon France : RoadMusic.; • Festival ETopie, Fondation Vasarely Aix-en –Provence MP 2013 : RoadMusic.
2012 • Festival ElectroPixel, Nantes : RoadMusic.
2011• Festival City Sonics, Mons, Belgium (With Locus Sonus) : Locustream Promenade.
• Sinclair, Peter. Inside Zeno’s Arrow : “Mobile Capture and Sonification” Locus Sonus Symposium#8 Audio Mobility. Aix-En-Provence, 2014.
• Sinclair, Peter. «Sonification And Art.» Captation, Transformation Sonification. Borges, 2014. 157-165.
• Gresham-Lancaster, Scot, and Peter Sinclair. “Sonification and Acoustic Environments.” Leonardo Music Journal 22 (2012): 67-71.
• Sinclair, Peter; Dr Hubner, Yvonne and Dr Tanaka, Atau “RoadMusic: Music For Your Ride From Your Ride” Special Issue Presence: Teleoperators and Virtual Environments: Subliminal/unaware cues and perception of presence in virtual, tele-presence, and automotive environments. MIT Press (to be published).
• Sinclair, Peter. “L’art de la sonification en temps réel.” Obs/in. l’obs/in, 2011. 121-131.
• Sinclair, Peter. “Living With Alarms.” AI & Society (Springer) 27, no. 2 (05 2012).
• Joy, Jérôme & Sinclair, Peter. 2009. Networked Music & Soundart Timeline (NMSAT): A Panoramic View of Practices and Techniques Related to Sound Transmission and Distance Listening. In Contemporary Music Review, Vol. 28, Issue 4 & 5, (pp. 351-361), Taylor & rancis Group (publishers). Abingdon Oxfordshire: Routledge.
• Sinclair, Peter. 2009. http://nujus.net. In “WJ-Spots #1 – 15 ans de création artistique sur Internet”, Édité par Anne Roquigny, (pp. 90-91). Paris : MCD, Musiques & Cultures Digitales, hors-série 103, Septembre 2009.
• Sinclair, Peter. 2007. Locus Sonus. In “Autumn Leaves – Sound and the Environment in Artistic Practice”, Édité par Angus Carlyle, CRiSAP, London College of Communication, Univ. of the Arts London. Paris / London : Éd. Double Entendre.